Sunday 20 March 2016

A day in Poland


Tomorrow I am joining the Chief Rabbi and almost 300 members of the Leeds Jewish community in a visit to Auschwitz.

It is hard to say what I expect to feel as I have no reference point.

I know that this will be different for each member of the party which will include a holocaust survivor, family members of victims and those connected just by their Jewish heritage.

My closest connection is knowing that my grandfather was one of the first British soldiers into Belsen. The experience was so traumatic he would not talk about it. Whilst thinking of the millions of victims I will also think of his generation who worked hard to ensure it could never happen again.

I will share my thoughts during the day to tomorrow, signal and tariffs allowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment